Re: POLARIZATION

I am missing a fundamental point and would welcome clarification if
possible.

A student asked "When does a polarizing filter stop polarizing if the
spacing is made greater and greater between the 'strands' in the
polarizing filter?"

To this I would add; Does a diffracting grating polarize light? (It
certainly doesn't appear to as we tried in lab).

I believe a clarification concerning polarization would be valuable if
anyone can help with this issue.

Thanks,

David Abineri

A polarizer transmits only light polarized in a certain plane. It absorbs
the rest. (We have several burned polarizers and no burned gratings.)
Gratings do not absorb much. They diffract light of any polarization. I
think the usual model of a polarizer as a lot of small slits is good if one
keeps the absorption in mind. Pasco's microwave apparatus can be used for
both diffraction and polarization. The metal in the grating absorbs. Why
don't polarizers diffract?

Charlie