-----Original Message-----
From: Herbert H. Gottlieb <herbgottlieb@juno.com>

When I was in college studying economics, I was taught that market
forces consist of two factors, supply and demand. But market forces
consist of several additional factors that must also be taken into
account.
Two of the most important are government labor laws and union activity.

Laws and regulations by the government set salary scales for civil
service jobs and minimum wages for private industry. Over the years,
minimum wages have constantly been increased regardless of supply
and demand.

Unions and labor organizations have been instrumental in raising the
salaries of garbage collectors, transportation workers, truck drivers,
and
high school teachers regardless of supply and demand.

Meanwhile the highly skilled tool and die makers of the country refused
to organize because they considered themselves "professionals" and like
college professors, loved their work and felt that it was beneath them
to organize into labor unions for higher salaries and benefits. As a
result,
the wages of unskilled labor soon outdistanced those of the tool and
die makers. Today, tool and die makers are becoming scarcer and scarcer.
When new ones are needed by industry, rather than offer increased
wages to attract them, we import them from overseas where wages
are even lower than they are here. Will the same thing happen to
the jobs of college physics professors in the USA?

Herb Gottlieb from New York City
(Where salaries of physics teachers are subject to "updated" market
forces)

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]