Re: Physics is a human construct

Charles Crummer wrote:

Bob Sciamanda
Physics, Edinboro Univ of PA (ret)
trebor@velocity.net
http://www.velocity.net/~trebor

I think that this universality of empirical, mathematical models,
transcending the subjectivism of conceptual models, is another reason
for
the success of the evolutionary step taken by the "Boyle" revolution of
the 1600's. Before, mathematics was only a language for quantifying a
conceptual model constructed from naive, obvious system properties;
now
freely created "number generators"

Do you mean by "number generator" a mathematical theory or an
"artificial
intelligence" computer program? Or are you referring to curve fitting?

can produce new, empirical,
mathematical models which then beg for "explanation" by a conceptual
model.

Cleverly used, the number generators will ask specific questions of
nature which she cannot refuse to answer, quantitatively.

How can a non-human ask questions? I think I'm missing something.

Charles,
By "number generators" I refer to hardware
instrumentation, beginning with the thermometers and manometers used by
Boyle, et al, to put questions to nature. (It is interesting that all of
your associations with the phrase were with software.)

When the outputs of these devices prove useful (conveniently correlated
numbers) we may organize this knowledge into an empirical, mathematical
model, defining these quantities to be properties of the system under
investigation. The properties so defined remain merely numbers generated
by devices, until a conceptual model of the system and its interactions
with the measuring devices gives them a "deeper", physical meaning.

You obviously missed the beginning of this thread - I also invite you to
peruse the related "A Prelude to the Study of Physics", Quantum, Nov/Dec
1996. It is also online at http://www.velocity.net/~trebor .

-Bob