Re: Sabbatical replacement

with be approximately $35-37k for the 10 month appointment.

Almost all of my friends who are teaching physics in the high
schools are being paid at least $30-$60 K for the same period
of time ..... and even us to $85 K or more if they have the PhD.

I feel that university professors should be getting paid much more
that the high school teachers that they often have to teach. Am I wrong???

Do you teach Physical Therapists? (PT's at 100K) Do you teach truck
drivers? (UPS driver 55K plus 4% now) Do you teach doctors? (report at 169K)
Do you ever teach car salesmen? (61K) I have heard it is common for
trainers in business to make much less than the salesmen they train.

Could it be that the prestige and honor associated with a college
position compensates for the differential? The greater time flexibility
favors the college prof who can develop other "lucrative" activities to
supplement the base. Is salary alone an indicator of "status"?

Does demand exceed supply? If they get hundreds of qualified
applicants why should they pay more?

Tim