Re: Sabbatical replacement

At 03:48 PM 5/18/98 -0400, Herb Gottleib wrote:

I feel that university professors should be getting paid much more
that the high school teachers that they often have to teach.
Am I wrong???

Some are, most are not! Check the numbers in the March/April Academe for
the entire professoriate. Kyle's numbers seem about where I would expect.

The disparity is even greater for those of us at small colleges - the
"market" does not place as much value on what we do as most outsiders think
we make. Which makes the near-constant yammering in the media about
overpaid underworked faculty representing the "new American leisure class"
even more troubling. At least they could get the numbers right!

Department of Physics * *
Randolph-Macon College * "Understanding is a lot like sex. *
P.O. Box 5005 * It's got a practical purpose, but *
Ashland, VA 23005-5505 * that's not why people do it, normally." *
* *
phone: (804) 752-7344 * - Frank Oppenheimer *
FAX: (804) 752-4724 * *
http://www.rmc.edu/~gspagna/gspagna.html