Re: Sabbatical replacement

On Mon, 18 May 1998 12:02:39 -0400 kyle forinash <forinas@indiana.edu>
writes:
I have been authorized to advertise for a one year only, joint
physics/computer science sabbatical replacement for the 1998-99
academic year. We are looking for someone with PhD credentials
(or close to completion) and evidence of good teaching to
teach introductory level physics plus 2 low level computer
literacy classes for both semesters. The salary
with be approximately $35-37k for the 10 month appointment.

We hope to make a decision by mid July, classes start Sept. 2.

Almost all of my friends who are teaching physics in the high
schools are being paid at least $30-$60 K for the same period
of time ..... and even us to $85 K or more if they have the PhD.

I am surprised that Indiana University is expecting to "make a
selection" from experienced applicants who are willing to accept
such a small salary. ..... especially where it might mean relocating
for a year and being told that the job will definately terminate at the
end
of 10 months.

I feel that university professors should be getting paid much more
that the high school teachers that they often have to teach.
Am I wrong???

Herb Gottlieb from New York City

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]