Re: Scientific Word Processors

The equation editor with Word is a subset of a program called Math
Type, as Jerome Epstein notes. Math Type allows much more flexibility
than the stripped down version included with Word, and Math Type can
be used with ANY Windows-compatible word processor. I have used it
with Write (in Windows 3.1) and with Excel to insert equations into
spreadsheets for easy reading. When the department bought its copy,
we got a special "upgrade" price because we already had Word 2.0 (that
was a few years ago...). I don't know if Design Science (they make
Math Type) still offers that kind of deal.

Steve Luzader

Jerome Epstein wrote:

If you are comfortable with MIcrosoft WORD, then I strongly recommend
MATHTYPE.

It is an extension of the equation editor in WORD (made by the same
folks), it is pretty easy to use, and it allows extremely easy insertion
of equations into a WORD document, thus no need to worry about putting
in text also.

--
Stephen Luzader
Frostburg State University