Re: the symbol for electric current - and one eliminated

On Mon, 11 May 1998, Leigh Palmer wrote:

**Ames specifically identifies "i" with the intensity of the current.

***Daniell specifically identifies "I" with the Intensity of the current.

****Everett uses "i" for "intensity", meaning electric field intensity.

I recall seeing something by Faraday regarding "identity of
electricities", with the conclusion that bioelectricity, "static"
electricity, and wet-cell electricity were all the same entity, but with
differing quantity of electricity and intensity of electricity. Perhaps
"intensity" originates from back before researchers had agreed that
electric current even WAS a motion of charge. If there was controversy
regarding its nature, then "intensity" might have been a term accepted by
both sides.

(For those who insist that "electricity" is the energy sold by electric
companies, check out the CRC handbook's definition of "quantity of
electricity".)

billb@eskimo.com www.eskimo.com/~billb