Re: Unsubscribe temporarily?

On Mon, 11 May 1998, Jerome Epstein wrote:
Does anyone know if one can unsubscribe temporarily (say for a month)
and then automatically go back on.
I'll will be out of the country for a month and don't want all my mail
flooded.

{Note: In all dealings with LISTPROC (the List Processor,) it is important
to ALWAYS make sure that your SUBJECT: line is blank and DO NOT include
ANY other lines of text (especially a signature).}

You can pick up anything that you missed by utilizing the "archives". To
download all messages from May 10 to May 22 of 1997, make sure that your
SUBJECT: line is blank and send ONLY the following:
get PHYS-L phys-l-archive.april-98
which will get you the "april-98" monthly archive.

When you get back, you send ONLY the following message:
SUBSCRIBE PHYS-L Firstname Lastname
Again, make sure that you DO NOT include ANY other lines of text
(especially a signature)!

Yet another thing that you might consider (when you are going away for a
shorter time) is to use the "digest" feature. You can set your PHYS-L
subscription to MAIL DIGEST, and ListProc will send you just one message a
day, with all PHYS-L messages clumped together. This way, you have just
one message to deal with instead of 20 or 30 individual messages. The
downside is that many times you want your mailing handling software to do
specific things with individual PHYS-L items, and this is more difficult
to accomplish when the item of interest is buried in a lengthy digest. If
you want to configure your subscription this way, send the following:
SET PHYS-L MAIL DIGEST
If at a later time, you want to return to the individual message format,
the command is:
SET PHYS-L MAIL ACK

I hope that this is of some help.

Note: Most of the above is taken directly from msgs that I/we have
received from a delightful gentleman, Dick Smith, retired from the
Department of Physics, University of West Florida, Pensacola:
Richard C. Smith, Ph.D. Voice: (850) 476-9352
55 Birdwhistell Blvd. Fax: (850) 476-4193
Pensacola, FL 32514 http://www.uwf.edu/~rsmith
email: rsmith@gulf.net

THANKS AGAIN DICK FOR ALL OF YOUR HELP AND THE LONG STANDING SUPPORT OF
UWF FOR THE PHYSICS COMMUNITY!

+=================================+

ERTEL SENDS.
/^\-/^\
/ \
| * |
|#########|
===========================
/ Prof. John P. Ertel \
/ veteran Eagle Scout \
| jpe@nadn.navy.mil or jpertel@BigFoot.com |
| Physics Department, 9C Office : 410-293-6657 |
| Michelson Rm-338 DSN : 281-6657 |
| 572 Holloway RD FAX : 410-293-3729 |
| U. S. Naval Academy Research : 410-293-2759 |
| Annapolis, MD 21402-5026 Home : 410-757-6618 |