RE: NS reversals

David Bowman writes.....

The Earth then spins
faster as it conserves its spin angular momentum. But the increased spin
rate appears mostly in the hard crust and the fairly stiff mantle. The
liquid outer core is more decoupled from the rest of the planet so that
the outer layers of the Earth spin faster leaving the core to rotate at
its former speed. The extra shearing effect at the mantle-outer core
boundary disrupts the convective cells in the outer core leading to a
collapse of the cells and the magnetic field.

There are very recent measurements that show that the core is spinning at a
slightly different rate than the crust. I don't remember which is faster at
the moment, but I THINK it was the core that is slightly faster. Which
MIGHT mean that we are still coming out of the last ice-age??

It's no accident that stressed Chuck Britton
spelled backwards is desserts. britton@odie.ncssm.edu