Re: "quantization"

At 02:34 PM 5/7/98 -0700, you wrote:
Hello all,

In recently reading Halliday, Resnick, & Walker, I was alarmed to read
"We have already seen that matter, energy and angular momentum are
quantized; [electric] charge adds one more important quantity to the list."
Earlier in the book, one can find "Yet on a fine enough scale, air is not
continuous at all but comes in ... particles of specific masses ... . We
say that mass is quantized."

This seems to me to be a very muddled idea of quantization. Consider:
- Mass is 'quantized' in the sense that it is made up of discrete
particles. But as far as I know there is no way to index allowed masses,
unless the system has only one atomic species.
- Energy is 'quantized' in any *specific* system, and the allowed energies
can be indexed. However, for any energy you might choose, you can find a
system in which that energy is allowed.
- Charge is 'quantized' everywhere, always.

Personally, of the three I would only say that "charge is quantized", since
such a statement seems to imply some sort of universality. In a particular
system, I would say the energy is quantized *by the potential*. I would
never say that mass is quantized; I would say that it is made up of
particles. In any case, I *certainly* would never say "Charge is
quantized, just like energy and mass;" those different cases aren't very
similar.

How does everyone else feel about this. Am I expecting too much precision
in the language? Is there a deep, theoretical sense in which these cases
*are* similar? Or is this another entry for the text book misconceptions
list?

--
--James McLean
jmclean@chem.ucsd.edu

Halliday, Resnick and Walker appear to be using the word "quantized"
in the sense of not being continuous. The use of that word in physics
originally started with that meaning. Before we can say that they used
it wrongly, is there any convention or general understanding among
physicists about a more restricted meaning for that word?

regards,

sarma.