Re: [Fwd: SUBSCRIBE PHYS-L Michelle Alfaro]

I have not seen a reply to this inquiry, so I will attempt one.

The list seems to consist primarily of members that are educators in
physics. They include members from junior high, senior high, community
colleges, four year colleges, and graduate institutions, with perhaps the
majority representing four year colleges emphasizing all levels of
undergraduate physics. The participation is world-wide. It includes
students, graduate students, post-docs, retires, representatives from
other disciplines, equipment suppliers, software distributors, etc. I
believe the audience is much much greater than it appears from the number
of more active participants.

The list provides the participants the opportunity to share their
experience regarding aspects of teaching, demonstrations, laboratory
experiences, and the fine points of topics from all aspects of physics.

A major purpose seems to be to allow the members the opportunity to get
alternative views on the details of various aspects of physics. The list
also serves as a ready resource for information may not be readily
available at the participants locations.

While students occassionally ask questions and receive responses this does
not seem to be a primary activity of the list.

Speaking to the membership for myself, as a one person department,
participation in this list has been a major source of a sense of community
with other physics teachers and persons interested in physics. In this
regard it has been a continuing source of inspiration and motivation in
attempting to meet the daily needs on my position.

I suspect that this inquiry has not received a more prompt reply because
the listserve is not all that easy to characterize. Hopefully I have not
made any gross misrepresentations or offended any particular group of
participants.

Joe D. Darling
jdarling@emh1.otc.cc.mo.us Instructor of Physics and Physical Science
Ozarks Technical Community College