Re: Centrifugal force

As an afterthought, would it make any difference in the outcome of
Chuck's proposed experiment if the unpowered rocket were resting on the
launch pad (a launch pad one meter higher to be exact) instead of
hovering? A lot of fuel could be saved that way. I would not expect it
to make any difference whether the rocket was supported by the contact
force of the launch pad or the thrust of the rocket engine.

No, it wouldn't. That is the point of Donald's example. Let's stick
to the hypotheses what brung us, eh? Discussion is simpler that way.
If it makes no difference, and we don't have to pay for hypothetical
fuel, please let it be!

Leigh