cursive and symbol fonts

Is there a standard font (i.e., preferably TrueType, free, and commonly
available for both Windows and Mac) used to make curly letters (usually
capitals), such as the symbol E for emf, an arbitrary linear operator L,
the Hamiltonian H, and countless other similar examples?

And while I'm on the topic of fonts, I would like to know once and for all
whether the the Greek letter epsilon as used for dielectric constant should
be written with two semicircles (like one lowercase "c" stacked on top of
another) or as one semicircle with a horizontal bisector (like a lowercase
"e" whose front edge has been shaved off)? (Please excuse my humble
descriptions.) Usually in books I see it as the latter. But why does the
standard TrueType symbol font on my Mac choose the former? Can I change
this?

Dr. Carl Mungan, Assistant Professor http://www.uwf.edu/~cmungan/
Dept. of Physics, University of West Florida, Pensacola, FL 32514-5751
office: 850-474-2645 (secretary -2267, FAX -3161) email: cmungan@uwf.edu