Re: contribution of mathematics in understanding physics

I have given my diagnostic test to one class (16 students) of IN-SERVICE
elementary ed. grad students. I gave only the first half, all of which
should be answerable by a competent 8th grader. The average score was
25%. Not a single one got over 50% and thus I would say that NONE were
competent in grade school arithmetic -- just at the level of
successfully doing it, never mind teaching it.

I have taught a class of preserive el. ed. students at Brooklyn College
as well. I would say that roughly 1/3 of these students were in the same
desparate condition, and roughly another 1/3 had significant problems
just doing elementary school mathematics. The department was horrified
that any of them might fail the course and not go right into student
teaching, and turned a variety of somersaults to see that no one failed.

I could tell you stories . . . . .

I said to a supervisor of the "Teacher Opportunity Core" program at City
COllege once:
"We wouldn't dream of sending in someone with a 4th grade reading level
to teach elementary school. But we send people with a 4th grade math
level in to teach elementary school all the time."
The supervisor replied"
"That is because most of the profession -- from the Ph.D.s on down --
are math phobic."

Until this problem is addressed, the colleges will still be struggling
with students who are stuck at the level of 4th graders. Arons also
pointed this out -- the nuclear importance of the elementary teacher as
the only point where the vicious cycle can be broken -- almost 30 years
ago.
J. Epstein