Re: impedance of free space

The way I like to remember and use the impedence of free space is that the
time averaged irradiance I, or Poynting vector S, for a plane
electromagnetic wave can be written in terms of the electric field
amplitude of the wave, Eo, as I or S=(1/2)Eo^2/Z, where Z is the impedence
of free space. This looks like the time average power dissipated in a
resistor with an AC voltage with amplitude Vo applied, P=(1/2)Vo^2/R, where
R is the resistance. This also looks like the time averaged power
transferred by an endless transmission line with an AC voltage with
amplitude Vo applied, P=(1/2)Vo^2/Z, where Z is the impedence of the
transmission line. The notion of impedence unites these three examples,
and expresses them in the same way. JSM

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I'm rusty on this and none of the
H&R or Serway level books give me a good answer. My students asked, "If
free space is totally empty, why does it have impedance [of 377 ohms]?" I
was about to answer that free space isn't really empty and launch into
something about a sea of virtual particles, but then I thought I'd better
ask the list first.

Thanks in advance,
Larry