From: Larry Smith <Larry.Smith@snow.edu>
To: PHYS-L@atlantis.uwf.edu <PHYS-L@atlantis.uwf.edu>
Date: Wednesday, April 22, 1998 6:24 PM
Subject: impedance of free space

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I'm rusty on this and none of
the
H&R or Serway level books give me a good answer. My students asked, "If
free space is totally empty, why does it have impedance [of 377 ohms]?"
was about to answer that free space isn't really empty and launch into
something about a sea of virtual particles, but then I thought I'd
better
ask the list first.

Thanks in advance,
Larry