Re: leaf spring energy

brian whatcott says:

I cannot do better than remind the readership of an excellent paperback -
actually two of them - written by (Professor) James E Gordon.
"Structures" and "The New Science of Strong Materials".
This is material more gripping than a mystery, more relevant than watching
"Titanic", and engaging to the attention.

Thanks, I'll definitely look these up.

There, one finds in a slim appendix, the royal road to reasonable stress
calculations - and I will echo his notes on Beam Theory here:

The basic formula for stress s at a point P distant y from the neutral axis
of a beam is

s/y = M/I = E/r

Where: s is tensile or compressive stress
y is distance from the neutral axis
I is second moment of area of cross-section about the neutral axis
E is Young's modulus ( or stiffness or inverse springiness, if you
will)
r is radius of curvature of the beam at the section we are examining.
M is 'moment' or force times perpendicular distance from section of
interest.

I hesitate to ask this before looking up the reference, but...
You speak of a neutral axis, where I naively would have expected a neutral
plane: tension above and compression below. Is it necessary to have
inhomogeneity 'across' the beam, i.e., along the axis perpendicular to both
the beam length and the bending force?

--
--James McLean
jmclean@chem.ucsd.edu