pasco light probe oscillations

This week we tried setting up a lab to measure the intensity of light
transmitted through 2 polaroids as a function of theta - Malus' Law - using
the Pasco light detector connected to a 700 interface. The light source was
a 12V halogen bulb, and the detector was shielded in a tube of black paper
with the two polaroids at one end. The probe was calibrated in Pasco Science
Workshop with the max voltage about 5V assigned 100% and the min voltage
about 2 volts assigned zero.

The setup seemed to work, but a funny thing appeared, for which I have no
explanation. With the polaroids at some arbitrary position, and everything
left untouched, the reading from the probe oscillates with a period of about
15s and an amplitude about 5%. This goes on consistently for hours. I assume
it has something to do with the probe/interface since this is the black box
part of the setup. (First we were using a laser and I thought it was the
laser polarization changing as the tube warmed up but exactly the same thing
appears with and incancescent source).

Does anyone have an explanation?

Mark.

Mark Sylvester