Re: halogen bulbs

On Thu, 9 Apr 1998, David Dockstader wrote:
For those of you who know about light bulbs, what's the deal with halogen?
I can see why a Xenon filled bulb would be good but halogen?

I asked the same question a few months back and was told the following...

When a filament gets as hot as those in high intensity bulbs, some of the
metal from the filament vaporizes into the bulb. The halogens react with
these vaporized particles from the filament and redeposits them back on
the filament. This extends the life of the bulb.

I'll add a little to that, but I don't have an authoritative source.
All of what was said conforms to what I was told, and in addition I
was told that the tungsten is redeposited preferentially at the
hottest spots in this reaction. That seems highly counterintuitive
to me, but my physical intuition tells me that I should not take my
physical intuition too seriously!

Leigh