Date: Fri, 03 Apr 1998 19:06:01 -0600
To: dagnew@ucsd.edu
From: brian whatcott <inet@intellisys.net>
Subject: Oceanic Tidal Bulge

Dear Professor Agnew,
There is an ongoing discussion on the phys-l list
(which is dedicated to physics educators at the []
college and high school level and comprises
US, Canadian and some European teachers/professors.)

The topic, which is a subject of fairly polite disagreement,
is about the objective measures available which support the
commonly held concept that the Earth's oceanic tidal
bulges lead the line joining the moon and the Earth.
This is the concept used to explain day length changes,
Moon orbit changes etc.

A telling world chart of co-tidal times seems quite
chaotic and unsupportive of this leading bulge idea -
in that no bulge is visible sweeping the Earth on
meridional fronts.

The satellite radar imagery that I have found seems to
support the view that the ocean tides rotate around the major
oceanic basins, and it is this integrated effect that is
simplified or 'falsified' as a leading meridional tidal bulge.

And you seem to be one of the people most apt to know
about remote sensing and oceanic bulges.
Can you hold out a reasonable alternative to this persistant
meridional bulge idea or point me to someone interested in
this topic?

Sincerely
Brian Whatcott