Re: Moon's synchronism (not very long)

At 05:22 PM 3/30/98 -0800, Leigh wrote:
It seems to me that the lunar ranging people at McDonald Observatory
might have the measurements on Earthly tidal bulges.

I have "spoken" with the McDonald people and many others re this, but as
far as
I can tell they are not interested in ocean the tides per se. They _do_
measure water height, but only to determine the topography of the ocean
floor.
They probably do have sufficient data for a co-tidal map of sorts, but as far
as I know they have not produced a co-tidal map -- I would dearly like to see
such a thing -- until then we shall have to use the likes of the graphic on my
WWW page. However, I can I assure you that such a map would NOT show "tidal
bulges"

.......There are lots
of hits on Alta Vista. It also appears (from titles in the literature
of geophysics) that the tidal bulges are also measured with laser
ranging of Earth-orbiting satellites.

See above.

......It appears that geophysicists,
at least, believe in tidal bulges and crustal tides because they can
measure them.

Alas, it is true that many of the oceanographers that I have spoken to _do_
accept he idea of tidal bulges -- and with a similar positiveness that
biologists ascribe to evolution. More's the pity.

Now crustal tidal motion I don't know about. That will be a wholly different
phenomenon . I think that the crustal motion can be as much as a few feet. I
don't know if that motion is oscillatory in the same sense as the ocean's
waters. And I don't know how this motion correlates with the tides.

See
<http://cddis.gsfc.nasa.gov/slr_brochure/tides.html>http://cddis.gsfc.nasa.g
ov/slr_brochure/tides.html

Thank you for this reference. I don't think that I have been to a NASA WWW
site, I _have_ spent hours wandering about the WWW without a lot of
enlightenment. (:-)