Re: Ideocosmology

At 15:06 3/23/98 +0930, you wrote:

Serious mode ON: Any hints on interactivity strategies that instructors
can deal with equably?

Over the last few years I have been experimenting with a locally developed
approach which continues to show some promise.
The system is called conceptual mediation. The basis of it is that students
hanging on to "alternative concepts" (like when you take air out of a room
things become weightless) do so because of an innate process of mental
protection... The
first is their understanding of a concept, the second is that offered by
physics and the third is that of an observer of both conceptions who has to
pick differences between the "old way" of thinking and the "new
way"..physics.

I present this only as an interesting approach.

Regards Scott.

If I were hanging on the ragged edge of understanding ( as I so often am?)
then this is the approach that would have lots of appeal.

Another post that talks of a determined effort to haul up student achievement
from the depths also gives me a warm fuzzy feeling.
Can't help but think that the human cost to teachers of this degree of
dedication must be appalling!

Whatcott Altus