A Plumbing Problem

A friend of mine called with an argument he is having with his plumber. At
his business (a health club), he has two water heaters (or should I say hot
water heaters?) of equal capacity. Both have an outgoing, hot water pipe
that is 3/4". One has an incoming (cold water supply) pipe that is 1.5" and
one has an incoming (cold water supply) pipe that is 3/4". He says that the
water heater with the larger supply line runs out of hot water faster and
claims that it is because of this larger supply line. His plumber says no.

I have monkeyed around with the problem some this morning. What do you think
gang?

BTW both heaters were installed at the same time. One is not a good deal
older and (by extension) a good deal more crusted up.

R. Allen Shotwell
Chair, Science and Math
Ivy Tech State College
Terre Haute, IN USA