Re: Ideocosmology

-----Original Message-----
From: Sam Sampere <sampere@SUHEP.PHY.SYR.EDU>

There is nothing to teach about learning!! You have to teach kids how to
read.

Sorry, but if we are going to have to teach reading (not scientific reading,
but _reading_) at the College level, then the educational system is doomed
to semi-literate mediocrity, AT BEST. If students can't read and can't
study by the time they get to College then we really _should_ be failing
them, having them reassess their skills, having those motivated enough to do
so go back and gain the necessary skills for entering college, then
returning to get their education. IF on the other hand, the colleges and
universities buy into the 'everyone can learn everything if taught properly'
mantra then clearly we WILL have to go back to square one, teach reading,
writing, arithmetic, study habits, etc. and then perhaps our COLLEGE
GRADUATES will be ready to GO TO COLLEGE. Of course, teaching at a private
college, we aren't about to flunk out the numbers we should (we'll give them
Bs instead) lest we put ourselves out of business. ;-(

rick