Why Linux

Rick Tarara <rbtarara@sprynet.com> wrote:

I think I'm in Leigh's camp on this--WHY? What will Linux do
that can't be done in the Windows or Mac environment?

I think a better question is: what does the Linux Operating System
(OS) have to offer that neither Microsoft Windows or Mac OS can
provide?

And my main answer to that question would be Economy. The Linux
OS is freely distributable, and source code is available in many
places on the internet for free. I personally choose to buy Linux
on CD-ROM, though, for ease of installation. My last purchase cost
$7 ($5 of that was shipping), and the one before that was $20 (I
bought a book along with the CD).

I think this is one of the more important issues, especially for
people in the education biz. How much does an educational site
license for Mac OS or Windows NT cost? I've never purchased one,
but I'd guess it's more than $7. In addition, you can resurrect
those "useless" 386 and 486 machines (the ones that can't run
Windows '95). For the price of an ethernet card you have another
X-terminal.

You also get numerous free tools with the operating system,
including C, C++, and FORTRAN compilers, games, fax and modem apps,
networking applications, various web servers and browsers.

But Linux is a young OS. Perhaps I'm wrong, but I doubt there's
as much established educational software readily available for
Linux as there is for Mac or Windows platforms. So we're going
to work on that.

Regards,
John

P.S. - One more thing. Linux is an open OS, unlike the Mac and
Windows "black box" OS'es. Open for watching, learning,
and tinkering. But I'm sure none of you physics folks like
to tinker with things! :-)