Re: Ideocosmology

In a 3/21/98 Phys-L posting of the above title, Brian Whatcott raises
three significant issues:

ISSUE #1. =93At 08:31 3/21/98 -0700, Richard Hake wrote:
=91...ATTACHMENT [abstract of AJP 66, 64 (1998)].... Results for 30 (N =3D
3259) of the above 62 courses on the problem-solving Mechanics Baseline
test of Hestenes-Wells imply that IE strategies enhance problem-solving
ability.....=92

Hmmmm: and I suppose results for 32 of 62 courses on the p-s MB test
of H-W imply that IE strategies do not enhance problem-solving ability?=94

RESPONSE TO ISSUE #1
Brian points up a deficiency in my abstract. It would have been better
to have written:=20

=93For 30 (N =3D 3259) of the above 62 courses, data on the problem-solvi=
ng
Mechanics Baseline test of Hestenes-Wells are available. These data
imply that IE strategies enhance problem-solving ability.....=94

ISSUE #2
=93 (This is an example of the interactive science dialog mode. It is=20
rather difficult to carry off successfully - less capable exponents=20
[like me,] can raise one's blood-pressure unpleasantly, elicit epithets
like 'smart-ass' and so on.)=94

RESPONSE TO ISSUE #1:
Your terse and arresting response is in the best tradition of smart-ass
Socrates. I agree that the interactive science dialog mode is difficult
to carry on successfully (1), but you (in my opinion) have done so.

ISSUE #3
=93Serious mode ON: Any hints on interactivity strategies that
instructors can deal with equably?=94

RESPONSE TO ISSUE #3:
The attached excerpt from ref. 2 indicates the more popular interactive
strategies used in the survey courses. Suggestions for the mitigation
of various implementation problems are given in ref. 3.