AP physics

I have been having a discussion with a colleague re: AP classes. We would
like to know if the majority of AP physics classes have a
prerequisite/recommendation that requires students who enroll in these classes
to have already taken a year of physics. The AP folks suggest that the
students should take the additional year. I don't think that the typical
schedule of an honors student has room in it for the extra year every time
they take an AP course. What's the norm out there?