Re: Doppler question

You have neglected motion of the medium. That is not a problem
with light; there is no medium. With sound there is a medium.
It was precisely this difference that led to the formulation
of the special theory of relativity (or SRT if you're left-
handed).

Leigh

I would add only few words to the last sentence:

"It was precisely this difference [in regard to mutual motion of a magnet
and conducting loop] that led to the formulation of the special theory of
relativity [although the latter is often presented in textbooks as
following zero result in Michelson-Morli experiment]."

This is propagating a myth that Einstein had never heard of the
Michelson-Morley experiments. My best sources tell me that is
incorrect, though Einstein is said to have claimed that during
a visit to Japan. I would rather believe that he was answering
a different question, perhaps not the one that was asked. As I
have done the same thing while lecturing I can understand that
very easily.

Einstein claimed that he was inspired to study the problem when
he considered the problem of looking in a mirror while moving
at an increasing rate in the direction of his gaze, a related
problem. I think Ludwik should add to his list of misconceptions
the one about Einstein not knowing about Michelson Morley.

Leigh