Re: moon's synchronism

From: IN%"billb@eskimo.com" "William Beaty" 18-MAR-1998 10:13:32.21
To: IN%"KOWALSKIL@alpha.montclair.edu"
CC:
Subj: RE: moon's synchronism

Date: Wed, 18 Mar 1998 07:11:20 -0800 (PST)
From: William Beaty <billb@eskimo.com>
Subject: Re: moon's synchronism
To: KOWALSKIL@alpha.montclair.edu

On Wed, 18 Mar 1998, LUDWIK KOWALSKI wrote:

I *belive* in what many of you wrote about the cause of the Earth-Moon
synchronization because I know that your contributions are based on
experience with reading and teaching the subject. But I am not totally
persuaded because I am not able to follow the details of the involved
logic. So I turned to Interactive Physics. It clearly tells me that
synchronization without tidal forces is possible. It is a spectacular
show; try it if you have this software tool. Here is what I did.

Cool! How cheap can IP be had?

I think your simulation IS a simulation of tidal forces. The attraction
between one lunar 1/2-mass and the "earth" is different than that for the
other 1/2-mass because the distances are different, hence the "tidal
force" makes them oscillate. If IE has damped spring icons that can serve
in place of your rods, you could make the oscillation decay away. To
simulate oceans, build the earth from three (or more) objects: a main
earth mass, then two or more small "ocean" masses tied to the earth's
center with rods. The moon should torque the "oceans" around with a
restoring force that pushes them to the moon-facing side or the opposite
side. Or instead build the earth out of "water", make it from a bunch of
non-point masses collected into a glob, and a single-mass moon should
create "tides" in the glob. Can IP do this?

Forward this to phys-L if you wish.

billb@eskimo.com www.eskimo.com/~billb