Re: moon's synchronism

On Wed, 18 Mar 1998, LUDWIK KOWALSKI wrote:

I *belive* in what many of you wrote about the cause of the Earth-Moon
synchronization because I know that your contributions are based on
experience with reading and teaching the subject. But I am not totally
persuaded because I am not able to follow the details of the involved
logic. So I turned to Interactive Physics. It clearly tells me that
synchronization without tidal forces is possible. It is a spectacular
show; try it if you have this software tool. Here is what I did. [...]

Ludwik,

I don't understand your interpretation. The effect you see is precisely
the result of the tidal forces that we are talking about here. I did the
same type of thing with IP myself last night but I hooked the two
"half-moons" together with a spring and dashpot to see if I could simulate
the dissipation mechanism that circularizes the moon's orbit and damps the
rotation into the phase lock condition. I clearly see the second, but I
may still be missing a critical ingredient for the first.

John
A. John Mallinckrodt http://www.intranet.csupomona.edu/~ajm
Professor of Physics mailto:ajmallinckro@csupomona.edu
Physics Department voice:909-869-4054
Cal Poly Pomona fax:909-869-5090
Pomona, CA 91768-4031 office:Building 8, Room 223