Re: Moon's synchronism

On Tue, 17 Mar 1998, Jim Green wrote:

BTW, it's interesting to consider this phenomenon from a driven
oscillator point of view. The tidal force effectively drives the
moon at a frequency of about 1 cycle per month. But since that
frequency is *way* above the resonant frequency, the moon's
rotational inertia dominates.

John, what is your evidence for this??? What tidal force? Are you talking
about water, crust, or magma -- Moon or Earth? I would be grateful for
citations. We are now dangerously close to our annual discussion of tidal
bulges. Do you really want to go there? (:-)

I confess that my "evidence" was, at the time I wrote this, only the fact
that the rotational inertia of the moon *does* dominate. That is, since
the moon's rotational velocity effectively "plows right through" the
monthly changes in the relative direction of the tidal driving torque, the
inertia manifestly dominates and, therefore, we *must* be on the high side
of resonance. Now my back of the envelope calculation pleasingly confirms
this result. As it turns out, however, we don't have to be very *much*
above resonance since the system undoubtedly has a high Q as David Bowman
has mentioned.

John
A. John Mallinckrodt http://www.intranet.csupomona.edu/~ajm
Professor of Physics mailto:ajmallinckro@csupomona.edu
Physics Department voice:909-869-4054
Cal Poly Pomona fax:909-869-5090
Pomona, CA 91768-4031 office:Building 8, Room 223