Panama

Message text written by INTERNET:phys-l@atlantis.uwf.edu
Can anyone give an explanation as to why the water level on either end
of the Panama canal is so different despite the fact that the oceans are
"connected"? I understand also that there are other places across South
America where the water level is about the same implying that locks
would not have been necessary there.
I welcome an light that can be shed on this.<

I think there IS a small difference in "sea level" in the =

Pacific vs. the Atlantic, but the Panama canal locks are =

there because it is NOT a "sea level canal". It was decided =

that it would be cheaper to build locks than to dig down =

to sea level. The water level in the high point - the Gaillard =

Cut - is 26 m above sea level. Incidentally "The Path =

Between the Seas", D. McCullough is a great book on =

building the canal.

Trivia question: Is the Pacific end of the canal east or =

west of the Atlantic end?

A: The Pacific end is farther EAST! Yes really, check a map.

Cheers,
Bill (8 more tests to write) Larson