From: brian whatcott <inet@intellisys.net>
To: phys-l@atlantis.uwf.edu <phys-l@atlantis.uwf.edu>
Date: Thursday, March 12, 1998 11:34 PM
Subject: Re: Favorite Test Questions

At 12:05 3/12/98 EST, David Bowman wrote:

Light bulb filaments are made of tungsten. Tungsten is a metal.
Metals are
ohmic substances. Ohmic substances obey Ohm's law. What it *means* to
obey
Ohm's law is that for a uniform current through a uniform sample of the
substance, the current intensity in an asymptotic steady state is
proportional to the electric potential difference across the sample for
wide range of current intensities and potential drops. The
proportionality
constant *may* be (and almost always is to some degree) temperature-
dependent. The proportionality condition is to hold for a given
*fixed*
temperature of the sample.
David Bowman
dbowman@gtc.georgetown.ky.us

By means of a simple four-legged syllogism and an over-constrained
definition David here sets out to convince us that an incandescent
filament or by the same token, another strikingly non-linear device
like a thermistor is ohmic, which means in MY definition that it
would have a linear relation between voltage and current.

This plainly will not do!

Whatcott Altus OK