From: Jim Green <JMGreen@sisna.com>
To: phys-l@atlantis.uwf.edu <phys-l@atlantis.uwf.edu>
Date: Thursday, March 12, 1998 02:55 PM
Subject: Shopping Spree

Oh, great wizards, I am about to go on a shopping spree. I seek your
advice:

1) It would appear that WIN95 will not tolerate my ImageWriterII serial
printer and I must now upgrade. Which printer should I get? Epson Stylus
400/600/800? HP 722c? Alps? (It's ink is not water soluable) Something in
this price range but likely not a color laser.

2) I like the idea of the Epson 400 because it will do banners and I want
have the ability eventually of doing a strip chart recorder kind of thing.
Comments? Any other InkJets do banners?

3) Is there strip chart software any where??? I really don't want to write
my own. If I had to, I think I would want to do it on a dot matrix in
graphics mode -- dot by dot, but this looks like great pain. I do it now
character by character.

4) WIN95 doesn't like my McAfee AV or my Norton Utilities either and I must
upgrade. Suggestions???? What do the so called "deluxe" versions get me?

5) Lastly what PC mailers are in use here on the list?? Is anyone really
satisfied with Navigator? Or IE for this purpose? Or do you use Eudora?
The problem here is that Corel, Eudora, and Communicator all over lap each
other. How do you wizards deal with this???? Yes I suppose most of you
use
your main frame or whatever your system provides.

Perhaps a private reply would be best, if so I will summarize to the list.
But then a public discussion might help us all. You decide -- or maybe
Dick
will step in here.

Thank you for your help.

Jim Green