Re: phys-l@atlantis.uwf.edu

David, I do not feel you are old fashioned. I am a new, young teacher, and
I insist that my high school students write in the proper scientific
notation. Although I do spend a good deal of time making sure that my
students know how to use their calculators using 2E3 for example; if they
do not enter the correct numbers, they will not get the correct answers.
(junk in=junk out). I tell them to do all written work (labs, tests,
homework) with the proper 2 x 10^3.

In my opinion, pick a method you like and stick to it.

Hope this helps.
Jason