Re: "Proper" scientific notation

I deduct points for using "calculator notation" but I do put the correct
format next to their answer. When a calculator shows 3.5 07 and the
student writes on their paper 3.5^7 it tells me they (1) don't know that
their answer indicates 3.5 to the 7th power and (2) they have not
remembered scientific notation.

It is a year long battle against what I call "THE RELIGION OF THE
CALCULATOR" which has as it main belief that if the calculator says it
is so it is absolute proof.

Reminds me of the definition of a lecture: when the teacher's notes
become the student's notes without going through the minds of either.

Calculator religion is when the calculator's answer becomes the
student's answer without going through the student's mind.

Ray Rogoway
Independence High School
San Jose, CA