Re: What to teach (was: American students do poorly)

At 10:06 AM 2/27/98 -0500, Richard Tarara wrote:

Does anyone who has been teaching for 15 years or more think the
intellectual skills of students have improved or even stayed constant? Are
you spending more time dealing with poor reading skills, poor math skills,
poor listening skills, all but non-existent analytical thinking skills, than
you did in the past?

I can't speak for "anyone" - but for me ...

no to the first question, yes to the second. In honesty, the good students
are as good as they always were, but they make up a smaller portion of a
cadre whose mean level is lower. This means that the disparities between
the best, average, and worst students are greater than before.

It occurred to me the other day that many of the
INTERACTIVE classroom techniques that are all the rage today are perhaps
really substitutes for what students USED to do in the past, ON THEIR OWN,
during study sessions. We now formalize such, spoon feed it to students,
and use our very limited contact time to teach them basic study skills.

I agree, but what's the alternative to teaching the students we get?
Changing the quality of incoming students will require a major change in
the K-12 system, including especially the way teachers are trained.

Department of Physics * *
Randolph-Macon College * "Quantum Mechanics: *
P.O. Box 5005 * *
Ashland, VA 23005-5505 * the dreams stuff is made of." *
* *
phone: (804) 752-7344 * - Steven Wright *
FAX: (804) 752-4724 * *
http://www.rmc.edu/~gspagna/gspagna.html