Re: SI units

Another fight we've lost, at least in the U.S.A. is to preserve the
consistency rule of pronunciation: that the emphasis in speaking metric
units with prefixes is on the prefix, and the prefix is one syllable.
Folks in the U.S., even teachers (I hate to admit) pronounce it
ke-LOHM-eter instead of KILO-meter.

I mention this early on in the first semester and point out that very few of
them say

ke-LOG- ram instead of KILO-gram

Don't know if it does much good; but at least it is an example of where the
natural pronounciation is the correct one.

Joel