From: Guntbert Reiter
To: QuistO; RAUBERJ; phys-l
Subject: Re: SI units
Date: Thursday, February 26, 1998 9:25PM

Joe Darling wrote on Mon, 23 Feb 1998 19:14:25 -0600 (CST) :

I believe we have a number of participants from metric countries.

Yes, there are :-)

I also believe they announce their weight in kilograms instead of=20
newtons, an uncomfortably larger number. =20

I never announce my weight (my mass neither :-))

In ernest: We try to get the [mass]=3D1kg; weight=3Dforce [force]=3D1N
ting into the brains and hearts of our students already at the
first time they have physics (at about 12). And I as a teacher
for the 16 to 19 years old use definitely newton when I'm talking
about weight and kilogramm when talking about mass (BTW: we have
to fight "kilo" as popular abbreviation for "kilogramm")

Bye, bye
Guntbert
+please correct me, if I misuse some technical terms+
Mag. Guntbert Reiter, Graz, Austria
teacher for physics, mathematics and computer science
e-mail : guntbert@asn-graz.ac.at

------------------------- Original message header:
MAIL FROM:<owner-phys-l@atlantis.uwf.edu>
RCPT TO:<RAUBERJ@mg.sdstate.edu>