Re: misconception re ice melting under skates

On Wed, 25 Feb 1998, Herbert H. Gottlieb wrote:

But at the bottom of page 295, Hewitt claims that the thermal
conductivity of the wire transfers heat energy from the top
surface of the wire to its bottom surface. He DOES NOT mention
any heat transfer to or from the environment outside the ice block.

I love the "fishline experiment" idea. But we'd need metal wire inside
the cube, and fishline (or similar) outside, where it can apply pressure
but without acting as a great huge heatsink for transferring environmental
temperature to the innards of the ice cube. A wire with tiny loops like
those on a fish hook, then tie the nylon line to it with fisherman's
knots. Do this experiment simultaneously with a duplicate which uses one
long length of wire (maybe use one large ice cube, making two parallel
cuts.

billb@eskimo.com www.eskimo.com/~billb