Re: textbook prices

A much bigger factor than taxes, it seems to me, is the advent of 4-color
illustrations in introductory physics texts. This requires much heavier
paper, resulting in a much heavier text. (My books are packed for a move
of offices: I cannot compare old and new versions of Halliday & Resnick.)

The other factor mentioned already is the explosion of expensive ancillary
materials, spreadsheet stuff, simulation stuff, student workbooks, .... My
pet peeve is that the transparencies supplied are usually the ones I could
easily produce on a photocopier rather than the nice pictures that I want.
I have suggested that the publishers provide a website from which I can
choose the desired transparencies!

Dr. Vern Lindberg 716-475-2546
Department of Physics Fax 475-5766
85 Lomb Memorial Drive