Re: misconception re ice melting under skates

At 10:31 PM -0500 2/24/98, Herbert H. Gottlieb wrote:
I'm afraid I've been guilty of passing this on! Would someone tell me
what is_ happening under the skates or under the loaded wire cutting
through ice? Crawford

Leigh Palmer <palmer@sfu.ca> writes:

Whoa! Those are two very different phenomena. One does not skate on
ice at melting temperature.

Leigh... Please explain. I have skated on ice at melting temperature many
times.
I have not tried to skate on ice when it is very cold.... but I have been
told
that it is difficult to do so because there is too much friction between
the skate
blades and the ice.

Also, after someone has skated on ice, it is apparent that melting and
regelation have occurred because a smooth track appears along the
path where the blades have passed.

Herb Gottlieb from New York City
(Where it is too warm this winter to skate on any of our ponds or lakes)

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]

I would like to hear more about this misconception too, as I have not
understood what the correct alternative explanation is.

Richard Grandy, from Houston TX

Home of Tara Lipinsky, and where the skating is ALL indoors.