Re: Universal expansion or local contraction?

I believe we would be able to detect a local streaming motion of
galaxies (which does exist but is not a contraction). Contraction
would require a local mass concentration that doesn't appear to
exist.

What are the implications of contracting matter? What if the universe is
approximately the same size, but we perceive it to be expanding because we are
locally contracting? What implications does this have on say, the Bohr model,
and red shifting? How would we perceive light from a distant galaxy, if that
light were emitted at a time when our local matter was at the same compressed
state as the distant galaxy, but now when we receive the light our measure of
distance and time has changed because of contraction?

Bob Carlson

Paul J. Camp "The Beauty of the Universe
Assistant Professor of Physics consists not only of unity
Coastal Carolina University in variety but also of
Conway, SC 29528 variety in unity.
pjcamp@coastal.edu --Umberto Eco
pjcamp@postoffice.worldnet.att.net The Name of the Rose
(803)349-2227