Re: direction of Delbrueck scattering (was curvature of space)

Leigh,

I believe that the direction of Delbrueck scattering should be the
same as the direction of deflection of any uncharged, polarizable
object by an inhomogeneous field. As a photon passes a nucleus,
it "splits" into an electron-positron pair. The electron is
attracted and the positron repelled, so they acquire a dipole
moment pointing away from the nucleus. This dipole is then
attracted by the inhomogeneous field of the nucleus.

I'm a bit uncomfortable with such a semi-classical argument, but
in this case I'm pretty sure it's correct.

Dan

It appeals to me, as you will see from my last post. If
straightforward semiclassical interpretations like that
one don't work then the model is of little use, and I'm
told that it is now indispensible.

Leigh