Re: Capacitor terminology

brian whatcott <inet@intellisys.net> writes:
Alex wrote:
Question - Why was mmf used instead of pf.
-
Since I am older than Palmer, I will answer.
pico had not been invented yet.

Thought Alex might be amused by this:

Capacitance:..."The farad is too large a unit for
radio or electrical work; hence the microfarad...
and the micromicrofarad...are commonly used."

Picofarad: "Obsolete term for micromicrofarad."

Electronics Dictionary, Cooke & Markus, McGraw-Hill, 1945

Also...in the second edition of the International Dictionary of
Physics and Electronics:

"FARAD. A unit of capacitance, abreviation f or fd. The farad is
the capacitance of a capacitor (or condenser) which acquires
a charge of one coulomb when a steady potential difference of one
volt is maintained across its terminals. the microfarad (10^-6 f) and
the micromicrofarad (pico farad) 10^-12 f) are used as units of
capacitance much more than the farad.

Herb Gottlieb from New York City
(Where people in our streets do not know a farad from a ferret)

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]