Re: "Charged" capacitor mis-terminology

We might want to remember that a number of our students will later be
exposed to some part of the engineering world. For those folks (as well
as in older physics texts), there is a current between the plates a a
capacitor (even one with "free space" between the planes). The current of
which they speak is the DISPLACEMENT CURRENT . Generally, they say that
the current at any point in space is the sum of the CONDUCTION &
DISPLACEMNET CURRENTS

I(total) = I(cond) + I(disp)

It's, not just old books and EE profs, but my students also get this
terminology from me.

I see nothing wrong with your equation above, and it represents a
generalization of current from simply being charges in motion.

It is, of course, a mathematical crutch so that the don't have to amend
the naive form of Kirchhoff's 2nd rule/law. If we would only teach the
CONTINUITY EQUATION, we would have no need of I(disp). The sum of the
currents into or out of a junction need not be zero it there is a build-up
of charge at that point.

It is only a mathematical crutch in so far as it is used to maintain the
junction rule at the capacitor plate; and I introduce it this way, mostly as
a hint of things to come when we study Faraday's law. But Displacement
current is quite real, because it has manifestly physical effects. It is a
source of real magnetic fields that have physically observable effects on
compass needles; Therefore it is not *only* and *purely* a mathematical
crutch.

I usually find that if I take time to teach them only a little extra math
(that they may not already know) I don't have to make up "virtual
currents" to make Kirchhoff's Current Law work.

Displacement current is not virtual and is not made up; it has physically
observable affects and consequences.

Joel