Re: What two words . . . ?

A lurker has privately solved the puzzle of homonyms which are also
antonyms. He is William M. Wehrbein; he says he heard it 20 or 30
years ago; so I guess I cannot claim first discovery :( Are you ready?

CLEAVE and CLEAVE

There are some other (more specific) examples that I have seen:

When you TRIM a Christamas tree, are you adding to it
or taking something off?

DUSTING can mean to REMOVE dust (furniture)
or ADD dust (crop dusting, dusting for finger prints).

A CHECK is something you RECEIVE at work
but PAY at a restaurant.

--- Tim Folkerts

Timothy J. Folkerts Tim.Folkerts@valpo.edu
Dept. of Physics & Astronomy 219-464-6634
Valparaiso University
Valparaiso, IN 46383