Re: magnetic field like this?

On Sun, 15 Feb 1998, LUDWIK KOWALSKI wrote:

I still would like to hear from those who teach astronomy how this figure,
or a correct figure which it should be replaced with, explains the transfer
of angular momentum (from the spinning sun to orbiting planets via magnetic
field). I am referring to his Figure 12.9 on page 259. A very similar figure,
but clearly drawn by another hand, can be found in the 2nd edition of his
"Astronomy, the Cosmic Perespective", page 361. Same caption but two slightly
different illustrations.

Could it be transferred via the plasma's mass? Rather than a purely EM
effect, the magnetic field may act as a large moment arm which flings
distant plasma at large tangential velocity, and therefor slows the
star's rotation.

Just speculation, I haven't even seen the diagram.

billb@eskimo.com www.eskimo.com/~billb