Re: magnetic poles

Date: Sun, 15 Feb 1998 16:04:50 -0500
From: Chuck Britton <britton@odie.ncssm.edu>
To: phys-l@atlantis.uwf.edu
Yes, it's unfortunate that the magnetic terms North and South were related
to the Geographic directions, but what is done, is done. We SHOULDN'T
downplay the magnetic meanings of North and South by uaeing outmoded terms
north-seeking or north-pointing for magnets.

What's done is done, but apparently still confuses. I thinking the outmoded
terms may help to clarify.

If, as you suggest, we needn't really bother too much about the poles of a
magnet (and indeed they don't feature much once we start talking about
fields) (What do people think about that, btw, - I recall somebody way back
on phys-l regretting that we did not use the concept of magnetic charge)

then all that's left is the arrow on the field vector, and that's the way
the compass *points*.

Mark.

Mark Sylvester
United World College of the Adriatic